The exterior of our 1800s farmhouse in Wildwood could use a refresher. A series of previous owners added new spaces and wrapped it all in gray vinyl siding. We would love to transition to a white and black modern farmhouse look.
Dear Mod-Farm Refresh,
The modern farmhouse look is currently the most asked-for style out there. You are right in noting that its black and white colors are one of its strongest characteristics. I would like to identify a few more that you also will see incorporated into the refresh:
- Two-over-two double hung windows, painted black
- A combination of clapboard with board and batten siding
- Areas of standing seam metal roofing, also black
- Shutters, used rarely, that don’t look colonial
- Darker colored wings (Note the charcoal garage/barn)
- Exposed foundations of brick or stone
- Black accessories, such as coach lamps and downspouts
- Simple, modern landscaping
- No fussy details … the hanging baskets and hitching post “fence” have to go
Beyond all that, I also have added three new dormer windows to give the central section some oomph and splashes of red to give the composition a bit of pop. I know that this is a long list, but it does take you to the height of fashion.
Thanks for asking,
Homework is penned by Paul Doerner, Founding Partner of the Lawrence Group. If you would like your home critiqued, contact us at email@example.com.