The Best of … Downtown St. Louis
St. Louis Sports a skyline like no other, with the Gateway Arch enticing travelers to cross the mighty Mississippi. The Arch was designed to be a beacon that welcomes visitors and a tribute to national expansion, and it continues to draw people westward into the city. Whether you’re a local or an out-of-towner, you can enjoy a relaxing stay in one of downtown’s beautiful hotels and find food and fun around every corner. Be sure to check hours and event times before visiting.
Established: 1764 by Pierre Laclede
Named in honor of: King Louis IX of France
Notable landmarks: Gateway Arch, Thomas F. Eagleton Courthouse, Busch Stadium
- St. Louis Aquarium at Union Station: One of downtown’s newest destinations, it includes dramatic aquatic exhibits and a beautifully lit Ferris wheel.
- Ballpark Village: Make a day of your Cardinals baseball experience at this vibrant food and entertainment complex.
- City Museum: Kids of all ages will find something fascinating at this one-of-a-kind, interactive museum.
- Soulard Farmers’ Market: Located at the southern edge of downtown, the market features a variety of gift, food and flower purveyors.
- Gallery Furniture & Home Accents: The eclectic home decor store includes gifts and items for every taste.
points of interest
- Old Courthouse: See for yourself where part of the historic Dred Scott trial took place in the 1840s.
- Wainwright Building: The 10-story office building, completed in 1891, is considered one of the first American skyscrapers.
- Old Cathedral: This beautiful stone church, nearly 200 years old, is a fixture on the St. Louis skyline.
bars & restaurants
- Schlafly Tap Room: Enjoy an authentic brewpub experience with hearty food and drinks.
- Rooster: Located in the downtown loft district, the café offers coffee, crepes, dessert and more.
- 4 Hands Brewing Co: Tours and tastings help guests enjoy the complete pub experience.
- Four Seasons Hotel and Lumière Place: Top off your gambling excursion with tasteful choices like Gerard Craft’s Cinder House at the Four Seasons.