Getting Real with Food: 4.6.22
The minute my dad took a bite of these, his eyes immediately got huge. He said this was by far one of the best beef dishes he has ever tasted. I have to 100% agree with him. This recipe is not only delicious, but also easy to get in the crock pot. These truly are The Best Slow Cooker Short Ribs, and that is because of a few special steps. These short ribs are encrusted with an easy pistachio asiago garlic mixture that is addicting on its own. They are seared before slow cooking for five and a half hours, so they fall off the bone and right onto your plate. Let’s get started!
the best slow cooker short ribs
Prep: 15 min.
Cook Time: 5 hrs. 30 min.
2 lbs. bone-in beef short ribs
1 ½ c. beef broth
½ c. shelled, salted pistachios
½ c. shredded asiago cheese
½ c. red wine
½ yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. parsley
½ tsp. paprika
½ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
¼ tsp. pepper
- Using a food processor, grind pistachios into a fine mixture. Then add in your shredded asiago cheese, two cloves of garlic and a pinch of salt. Process again until combined, then pour into a small bowl and set aside.
- Melt 2 tbsp. of butter, pour into pistachio mixture and fold until fully incorporated. It should resemble a paste like substance. Set aside
- Place 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. parsley, ½ tsp paprika, ½ tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper and ¼ tsp pepper into a small bowl, and whisk until combined. Place your short ribs on a plate, and sprinkle the seasoning mix on all sides.
- Add 2 tbsp. of unsalted butter to a large frying pan at medium heat. Once the butter starts to simmer, sear your short ribs on each side for 60 seconds each, then transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- In the frying pan kept on the medium heat, add in the red wine to deglaze. Add sliced yellow onion, ½ tsp. salt, two cloves of minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce and 1 cup beef stock. Whisk and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- While the red wine sauce simmers, take the pistachio asiago garlic mixture and press the mixture on the top and sides of each short rib, leaving the bottom bare. If some falls off, you can place any that has fallen off on the top in the crock pot.
- Pour ½ cup beef broth at the bottom of the crock pot and add red wine sauce on top. Then place your short ribs into the mixture; make sure the side without the pistachio mixture is down. Cook on low for five and a half hours.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, broccolini or whatever else your heart desires!
» I think gravy is a must for this recipe, and it’s beyond easy to make. Take your short ribs out of the crock pot. Whisk together ⅛ cup tapioca flour in a bowl with ⅛ cup warm water. Whisk until combined, then pour into the liquid in the crock pot. Whisk until fully combined. It will start to thicken. If it tries to separate, keep whisking. Pour on top of the short ribs. It’s also delicious on potatoes!